Skype will be removed and no longer sponsored for Business Online from 31 July 2021. Microsoft encourage Skype users to upgrade Skype for business to Microsoft Teams and plan their upgrades before the retirement date.
Microsoft Teams is Skype’s successor in all apps together with Instant Message, voice and video calls, document sharing. In-Office 365 business and business subscription models, Teams have been available to you since 2017 and have become one of the most necessary collaborations and productivity applications.
How do I upgrade my Skype for business to Microsoft Teams?
You can upgrade all the users to Team at once. Just follow the simple steps below:
- Inform your users about the change (it is optional, but recommended to keep preparing them for the change).
- Set the organization’s coexistence mode to TeamsOnly.
Or you can upgrade users in stages by following the other steps:
- Identify groups for users for an upgrade.
- Set up a reminder for users who are part of the latest update surge.
- Set the user coexistence mode to Teams Only.
- Steps 1-3 should be repeated for each wave of users.
Is there a recommended upgrade path for Skype for Business?
We suggest that you use the aka.ms/SkypetoTeams guide and tools to prepare your migration from Skype to Business to Teams, as well as attend a free upgrade preparation workshop to identify and run the upgrade route that best suits your organization’s needs.
Why upgrade to Microsoft Teams?
The full edition offers more Team features — including schedule, audio conferencing, improved management, and security — which are not included in the free version. Microsoft 365, Microsoft 365, Office 365 is a well-known desktop suite from Microsoft with cloud-based messaging and collaboration services for Microsoft’s next-generation, including Exchange Web and SharePoint Online. Your current teams will not be lost while upgrading your teams, with all your teams, channels, chats, files, and permissions. Some of the other benefits that you must know about are:
- Microsoft easily incorporates MS teams, including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, with many other Microsoft Ecosystem facets. Besides, Microsoft teams can use solutions from third parties like planning and CRM solutions. Integration means improved productivity and performance.
- MS Teams is the flagship collaboration solution for Microsoft, with many years of support and growth. Skype for Business will likely be discontinued in the coming years; no new functionality will be updated, and because of the lack of patches and upgrades, it will gradually become less stable.
So, if you are wondering, will Microsoft teams replace skype? Then we confidently tell you that yes, the future is indicating that it is going to happen soon.
How DFSM can help you with an upgrade
DFSM team will work closely with you to help you with Skype to Teams migration project plan. It is your opportunity that you can grab and change the dynamics of your business operations. The easier it gets for the Team to collaborate, share, and access information, they can offer better efficiency and skills to work for your company’s goals.